Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Just got back from a ride and enjoyed it so much that I decided today was the day to move my passion for riding onto the web. I have been riding for twenty years and basically have been mountain biking since the beginning, not California ride my ten-speed down gravel roads beginning, more the 'what the hell are you crazy people doing riding on my hiking trails. I better get organized and get you off them' beginning. I originally was a roadie but when I went into a bike shop in 1989 to buy a new road bike somehow I walked out with a mountain bike, a Kona Lava Dome with Suntour X-1 groupo. It had a 2.1 tire on the front and a 2.0 on the back and, being the rookie I was, I decided to ride it to my parent's home which was about 400 km away. I pushed those knobbies 150 km for two days in a row and then 100 km the third. I don't know what I was thinking, except obviously, maybe I should have put slicks on for this trip.

The Kona Lava Dome got stolen and was replaced by a Rocky Mountain Stratos which was stolen and replaced by a Rocky Mountain Hammer as a commuter and a Rocky Mountain Blizzard for the trails. The Hammer is still a commuter and I am currently riding a third generation Blizzard. However as age makes itself better known my reactionary ways are starting to fade and I am starting to realize (I am a slow learner) that full suspension is on the horizon. I was one of those rider who believed that suspension took away the 'truth' of the sport. The suspension hides the connection to the trail. When I was twenty I loved the connection, now I believe the connection could use some serious hiding. The trails I ride tend to be substantially bumpier than the trails I rode 15 years ago.

I ride in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. We ride twelve months of the year and sometimes we are lucky enough to ride in shorts on Christmas day. My passion is bikes, both road and mountain, with a slight preference for mountain. I like riding up hills more than going down them (I know a dying breed). I follow road racing fairly closely, mainly the European circuit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home